05 - EATA2019: you never forget your first conference!

Hi guys,
1 month ago I had the pleasure to take part to a great conference: EATA2019. Well, if you are not into the domain of pavement engineering, the acronym could remind you the wifi password of your neighbor, but believe me, it is one of the most important conference regarding the bitumen.

 

It took place in Granada, a vibrant city in the south of Spain, known throughout the world for the Alhambra, the flamenco and the tapas for free!
Walking for the old town, the first feeling is the strong influence of the islamic culture in the architecture. The best example is the Alhambra, a palace and fortress complex built between 1238 and 1358 at the end of Moors rule. After the christian reconquista, the site became the royal palace of Ferdinand and Isabella, undergoing the renaissance style.













Unfortunately I couldn’t visit the Alhambra because of the limited number of tickets (my suggestion is to book the ticket in advance, even before your flight!!!). At least I admired the building from an advantage point called Mirador San Nicolas. You should go there during the night, so you can enjoy the beautiful lighting of the Alhambra, while someone is playing the guitar.
Now I’d like to tell you more about EATA (European Asphalt Technology Association). It is an organization of European engineers and scientists involved in asphalt technology research. They hold a technical meeting every two or three years and publish a volume of papers, which are presented and discussed. During the conference we attended 9 sessions regarding the sustainability and the circular economy, the future trends in asphalt pavements, advanced tests and methods, the mechanics of asphalt material, the durability and the long term performances.


My presentation titled “viscoelastic characterization of transparent binders for application on solar roads” was included in the future trends in asphalt pavements and I had the opportunity to share my results with an expert audience. Considering that it was my first presentation in an international conference, I was a little nervous. I was worried about the questions, because all the people were expert in pavement engineering and there were no parallel sessions. It means that I had the attention of all the participants for 25 minutes!!! Finally I had interesting discussions, remarks and new points of view, which will be helpful to advance my research.
I also attended a seminar regarding the new challenges in asphalt pavement and I briefly presented my research work, paying attention to the methodology, in order to receive some feedback.
But the conference was not just a formal event, I had the pleasure to meet other PhD students involved in the European project saferup and I enjoyed the gala dinner, tasting some glass of vino tinto (the number of glasses in not relevant for this blog).
The next city to host EATA2021 will be Vienna, it means that I have two years to publish some good paper and attend again this conference!

Bye for now
Domenico

No comments:

Post a Comment

06 - 서울에서의 나의 회의

How hard is it to hide 10 millions of people? In Seoul it seems possible! During 1 week I never had the sensation to be in a megalopolis. Mo...